Sunday, March 24, 2019

What is Beauty?

So -- if you were asked that question and had to answer it within say, thirty seconds, how would you respond?  Go ahead -- I'll wait thirty seconds for your response.

******************************************************************************************************************

 Okay, time's up.

A couple months ago, the title of one of my blog posts was Chinese vs American Schools -- There's a Big Difference! (December 30, 2018). This past week I had an experience that reminded me of another significant difference between (most) American universities and the university at which we teach. As usual, I wasn't even looking for this insight, but it practically stepped right up and shook my had.

I have an activity I sometimes do with my classes which is designed to help them get over their fear of speaking English in public.  I have a list of 200 questions -- things like:

                                  What is your favorite hobby?

                                   If you could have a super power for one day, what would it be?

                                   If someone gave you 10 million yuan (about $1.5 million), what is the first
                                   thing you would do?

                                   If you could live any place in the world other than China, where would that be and why?

When I call on a student, I ask him or her to pick a number between 1 and 200. I have them give me the number in Chinese, so I can practice listening to and understanding Chinese. They think it's hilarious when I get the number wrong, but now I seldom get one wrong. (Hopefully my mistakes also send the message that it's okay to try and fail in my class -- but they just have to keep trying.)

Anyway -- the other day, the student below drew the question:

"What will you teach your children about what the true meaning of beauty is?"

Aze (Zhang Xuan Xuan)
Aze's initial response was an immediate: "Me!" But then she got serious, and said, "The definition of beauty is virtue."

I loved her response!

Her response reminded me of a similar experience I had my first or second day of class at the beginning of the school year. I had each of the students prepare a short personal introduction of themselves, and then introduce themselves to their classmates.

In her comments, one of the young women concluded her intro by saying that she thought one of the values most important to her was her modesty. As I looked around the classroom, I saw the vast majority of the students vigorously nodding approval and acknowledgment of that great value.

Amara (Dong Zhitao) 
As delighted as I was with their answers, upon reflection, I think that is another significant difference between US universities and Chinese universities, or at least the one at which we are now teaching. I can't imagine either that answer (Beauty = Virtue) or comment ("I value my modesty.") being accepted, much less agreed to, by the vast majority of American university students. In fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they would get heckled or mocked for being courageous enough to share those personal values if they did so in the classroom of most American universities.

And it made me sad.

China is a wonderful place, but I see one major weakness.  That is -- they are maybe a little too quick to adopt western fashions and values. They wear clothing from western countries -- Pink, Adidas and Nike t-shirts adorn their bodies, North Face and Columbia coats keep them warm, Converse tennis shoes cushion their feet.

New York Yankees baseball caps are exceptionally popular.  They are beginning to develop a bit of a sweet tooth as more and more western candies (like Snickers, Dove, and Hershey candy bars, M&Ms, Skittles, etc.) find their way into China.  They love western music -- not REAL western music, like Garth Brooks, George Strait, Blake Shelton, etc. -- just music from "the West" (eg: Beyoncé, Ed Sheeran, Justin Bieber, Charlie Puth, Riyanna, Taylor Swift, etc.).  They are huge cinema fans, and love American movies and television shows.

I hope they don't adopt America's casual attitude about morality. But I see signs those values will erode here ere long, as they now allow movies and television shows into the country like Fifty Shades of GrayGame of Thrones and Breaking Bad, all of which are very popular.

Here's to hoping that China is somehow able to maintain the lack of worldliness for their children and young adults.

(Note: Amara wants to be an English-speaking tour guide in China [and in fact, she has already been doing that as a summer job the last few years], and Aze wants to work in the travel management business in media. Both speak English very well.)

This Korean classmate on the right agreed to let me take her picture wearing her NY Yankees cap but was shy and didn't want her face in the picture. The mask she's wearing is very typical for people to wear here, to protect them somewhat from the pollution.

Below are a few pictures (unrelated to the topic of today's post) from recent days / weeks:

DQ and two of my Laoshi (teachers) -- He Li Na and Liu Yi Fei (He Li Na is one of my Basic Chinese teachers and Liu Yi Fei is my Chinese tutor.)


My classmates in my three Chinese classes (Basic Grammar, Reading and Listening). They hail from Korea, Tanzanika, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Sudan and Brazil. Oh -- and one old guy from America! All are marvelous human beings. (It was a bit of a rainy / misty day.)


Ran into these beauties on the Food Street I mentioned in a previous post -- L-R -- grasshoppers, scorpions, cicadas. I tried the scorpions, and they were surprisingly tasty.  Crunchy, but the seasonings they used were delicious.

                                                                                                     In case you don't recognize them skewered on sticks...

                                           I don't believe this product will catch on in America...at least not with this name...

                                            Elderly man I ran into and chatted with (briefly) during last weekend's sightseeing.

Are all Chinese short (remember my Stereotypes lesson)? Um...no.  Here are three of my students from one of my classes.  Almost all my classes have several boys and at least one girl taller than me.  I look not unlike a Hobbit in this picture (without the hairy feet...)


3 comments:

  1. I would be interested in their definition of modesty. Is it modestly of dress or of character, ie not tooting one’s own horn modesty? Or maybe some other meaning? We talked in church about the use of the word virtue In Mark 5:30 ie power. I’m afraid I couldn’t define beauty even given a whole day....except perhaps to say it takes my breath away. Thank you so much for your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought you would have said the definition of beauty is Alicia, Geneva and Elena... :-) Yes, you make some good points. Modesty / humility wasn't the vibe I got at the time, but it could be what she meant. I will say, that even during the heat of late August / early September last year (90+ degrees with humidity), almost all the young women dressed very modestly -- no halter tops (do women even wear those any more?), no sleeveless tops, always high-ish necklines, etc. I only remember seeing one or two gals on campus that were dressed anywhere near immodest, and none in my classes. It was nice.

    ReplyDelete

You Don't Have to be Perfect to be Amazing -- Chinese T-Shirt Wisdom...and Photos (Last Post)

As mentioned in my last post, I thought I would do a post consisting mostly of my favorite pictures, unless something occurred to my heart o...