Sunday, March 10, 2019

Signs of the Time -- Lost in Translation...

Anyone who has traveled much in this great big old world of ours has seen signs in English that have obviously not been written by native English speakers.

I often wondered about that, and thought, “Why don’t they hire native English speakers to do their signs and advertisements? Surely it would be more impressive to have flawless English on their signs.”

Such was my logic.

But a few months ago, one of my Chinese friends helped me view it from a different perspective. He is the Director of Translations at the University at which I teach. One day I mentioned Bonita and I had recently visited one of the more famous scenic spots in Jinan.

With a smile, he said, “Did you see the English signs there?"

My first thought was, “Oh no! He’s going to proudly tell me he translated them!” I just smiled and said, “Yes, I did.”

He said, “They’re awful aren’t they?”

Relieved, I said, “Yes, some were pretty bad.”

Then he explained. “Those signs aren’t intended for English speakers. They are meant to impress the Chinese people that this is such an important site, that English speakers travel to see it.”

As with many things in China, this incident has helped me continue to learn the value of different perspectives.

So – with that said, following are a few of the more memorable English signs we have run across in our travels in China.


Sign in a park in Dali, in SW China. Basically: Don't walk on the grass.

Perhaps needed in case your horse is running wild during a fire?  (In our hotel.)

Lover's Valley...

Shake milk? Milkshake.  Same words, but...(nice, neat lettering, though!)

 
Use an old-fashioned water pump to put water in your computer. (Actually, it's Chinese for: Slow)

Um...okay. I think they should have chosen Do not climb instead of No Surmounting...

Okay -- some of you who have traveled to China or other Asian countries have probably seen these signs before:



 Chinese typically use toilets that are basically a hole in the floor, as pictured above. That green waste basket in the top-right corner of the picture? That's where you put your used toilet paper (which you have to bring, since probably 95% of the toilets in China do not provide that precious commodity).  I always look for the Potty (Western) Toilets, myself. (Most Chinese despise western toilets, considering them very unsanitary.)

Keep it civilized...

In the event you need an artificial ticket, or maybe a ticket to Artificial, China?
From time to time, I've needed a sign like this in my life!
The translation is something like "No playing during office hours."
Okay -- just a couple more:

I have no idea, unless it means Bus Only Exit and Please get out your Credit Card...

 In case a flashlight is part of your normal photography set-up

*********************************************************************************
And now just a few random pictures of signs that struck me as interesting or funny:


(Poor) Knock-off of a popular hoodie message here: May the bridges I burn light the way. Modeled by one of my favorite students last semester (now Bonita's student) Echo (Han Yao Yao).

Check out the spelling of Chinese...

Boy, can I relate!

Probably a knock off (I hope so!)

Bonita and friends...in Shanghai

Pretty baby and proud grandma in Dali

Heart-broken little boy in Hanoi

A pretty little Hanoi doll

This young woman (~ age 10) in Hanoi absolutely fascinated me. I sat across from her and watched her interact with her grandmother for about 45 minutes, and she was a pure joy to watch and photograph.





And a special bonus for those of you who stuck with me through all the pictures.  This sign was next to a table of tourist knick knacks:


Given the context and location, I would wager they were shooting for something more along the lines of "Handle with care." (Sorry for the PG-13-ish nature of this sign...)

Thanks for reading!

3 comments:

  1. Love it. I believe the bus one did say Exit for Buses Only, Please pay with credit card as you exit the bus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having had to translate occasionally.....It's Hard! I give them kudos for trying and am grateful for the pictures....much easier to translate. They have similar choice of toilets in Japan, not too surprising, but they are also occasionally found in Europe too...if a public one can even be found. Usually you have to buy food to use one in a restaurant, even a fast food place.

    ReplyDelete

You Don't Have to be Perfect to be Amazing -- Chinese T-Shirt Wisdom...and Photos (Last Post)

As mentioned in my last post, I thought I would do a post consisting mostly of my favorite pictures, unless something occurred to my heart o...